Monday, January 5, 2009

Forcing myself


Forcing myself to learn water colors -
I recently did a pencil sketch from the same black and white reference photo of my niece Arena. I tried to fix the eyes on the pencil sketch and I think I ruined it.
Arena was about 4 or 5 years old in the photo ( she is very old now -- at least 30!) This was one of her favorite photos of herself - and I've had the original or a copy of it for a long time --at least 5 years -- and never did anything with it ------- so then I was chiding myself for resorting to pastels for my recent self portrait and decided I would do a watercolor based on Arena's photo even if it was in black and white - In the reference her smile is so sweet and her eyes are all most elfish - She was and is very cute and sweet - this water color is not as sweet or cute as the real little person - but is the best I could do - I Love you Arena - AK

5 comments:

Liz said...

Kathleen Arena looks so beautiful. You've done a wonderful rendering of her and it's so lifelike. I had another look at your pencil sketch. All you have to do is reinstate the iris and the pupil. There isn't anything wrong with the drawing at all. It looks fine. I can't paint people I can only draw them strangely enough. Why that is I don't truly know. My rating on this water colour is AWESOME

Take care
Liz

Unknown said...

I think the watercolor portrait is better than the black and white. I loved the black and white, but you really transformed this into something amazing. Fabulous!

Jan said...

This is very sweet and cute ...

Arena said...

wow, I love it! I think it looks magical with the background. :-)

seesue said...

This is sOo beautiful! Delicate treatment of a sweet face. You've painted her smooth skin to perfection!