Thursday, January 1, 2009

The evolution of a self portrait




New Years Day -I did not get dressed all day - watched HGTV and did some zentangles ---then decided I wanted to do some real art - There was a portrait exchange over at Karin Jurik's Different Strokes but I missed the sign up so I decided I would just do my own portrait -



I put a rough sketch on water color paper but lost my nerve about doing it in water color - I thought I should do it in crayon- but then I thought maybe I would do it in the style I like to use with crayons but use pastels -



I scribbled random colors in the correct values to get the light and dark areas established -then started adding the correct local colors -It got real muddy so I sprayed it with water and pushed stuff around and wiped off some color then I reapplied some colors and real color and told my self to stop my mouth is very weird and wrong,--- some of the dark blues I used in the original value scribbles show through ---but mostly I like it and I tried something different -


happy new year !!

16 comments:

Liz said...

All I can say is WOW!!! That is stunning Kathleen. I can't do people not in pastel. I can in pencil. animals seem to be my strength where colour is concerned. I found Danny Gregory's blog so I've put it into the side bar of my blog. Just LOVE his work.

Happy 2009 and may it be a creative year for all of us.

Liz

Margaret Ann said...

I think this is beautiful...I love the fact that you watched HGTV all day...What a HOOT! :)

Happy New Year!

The Best Decade said...

I agree...wow! You are MUCH too hard on yourself--this is wonderful--beautiful-just like the one that drew it!
Happy 2009!

Arena said...

I love it, it definately looks like you, tho the mouth area reminds me of Aunt Jan. What a good way to spend the day! Oh, and don't worry about not getting stuff mailed. I told W there may be some things on the way.

seesue said...

Love your portrait, love that you started the year off right! Good on ya!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Gorgeous! All of your experimentation while doing it must have been fun.

Kathleen said...

Thank You all for such nice comments

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Wow! This is really good!!! I cannot draw people, I guess I need to practice...

Anonymous said...

I love the technique you used and I really like the lines you used to complete your hair. Beautiful!!!

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

WOW! I love this self portrait! You are SO talented its unreal! I havent been able to leave comments, in fact I'm shocked I can today....knock on wood....I liked todays post too! Anyway, I always enjoy your blog!!!! I look forward to your next work of art! So much so there is a blog award awaiting acceptance on my blog! Come on over and pick it up!

Unknown said...

You should be so proud! What a wonderful way to start out the New Year! I need to get some pastel tips from you because you are amazing!

Dee said...

Fantastic self-portrait. What a wonderful pensive mood you've created.

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Kathleen you're not only talented, you are quite beautiful too... or did you take a bit of creative license with this.... just kidding... this is really, really good.

kazumiwannabe said...

It's beautiful. Love the mix of gentleness and energy, that seem very much like you!

Taunya Rosenquist said...

I love it! :) so fun to read your blog!

Taunya Rosenquist said...

Love it! so fun to read your blog!