Sunday, October 11, 2009

Impressionist Landscape - A Sad Story -

For the last two months I have been looking forward to a weekend workshop entitled "Painting the Impressionistic Landscape in Pastel" at the Gilcrease Museum in Tulsa -My friend Rosemary signed up with me and came down from Chicago for the class-

We made reservations at the Marriott for Saturday night - we packed our supplies our clothes and got up at 5:00 am on a Saturday so that we could arrive on time- we were 15 minutes early but the building was locked I rang the bell and a guard came from the museum and checked to see who I was & what I wanted - I told her we were here for the class and she called in to check and see if we were in the right place - we were - she was surprised no one else was there but said maybe people were running late -


We waited and still no one came - to make a very long story short - There was no workshop!!! - it was still on the museum's website and the artist's website and they took our money - but somehow - there was no class - I cannot say how disappointed I was - The people at the museum were very nice and very apologetic but - there was no workshop -!!!!!!---- ????? We made the best of a huge disappointment and spent the morning at the museum - it is fabulous - lots of Remingtons, Morans, Caitlins, and even a newly acquired Georgia O'keefe - it is an outstanding collection of paintings, bronzes and artifacts - definitely a world class collection - and then we went to a local street fair with art - not so great but interesting -



Arena had invited us to have dinner at her house - Heath and Noah came too - and we had a wonderful meal Boeuf Bourguignon a La Julia Child and panna cotta with raspberries for desert - Arena is a wonderful hostess and cook we enjoyed our evening-



So... on Sunday Rosemary and I held our own little Impressionist workshop and these two pastel sketches are the results of my efforts to create an impressionist landscape in pastel - both are 6" by 9.5" on hahnemuhle paper- it is a very soft paper and has a velour like texture the top sketch is from a photograph I took at Darlene's house the lower sketch is a copy of a Richard McDaniel Landscape


3 comments:

Tracey Latorelli said...

Wow. This is done really well, Kathleen (in my humble opinion). I think the only thing I would work with is arial prespective...Your acrylic works are impressive, and this one compared to them is just a little flat. The composition is beautiful, and I really like the piece.

Thank you for your comment about my pansies, Kathleen. Was so nice to hear from you.

God Bless....
Tracey

Jan said...

Have you gotten your refund yet?? That is really fraudulent!! Love the colors in both of these. I want to make Julia's Beef B. Did you see the movie?

Unknown said...

Kathleen,
These are so stunning! I am sorry about your workshop (or lack there of). I don't know how you turned a negative situation into something so beautiful.

BTW...I miss you!