Sunday, May 3, 2009

Carolyn & My life as a Slug!

Pastel on Wallis paper 9" x 12" this is my brilliant and talented niece Carolyn she is an ALL American pole vaulter- She recently placed seventh at the nationals we are extremely proud of her.

As for me -- well I have recently been living the lifestyle of the all American SLUG - I go to work come home eat dinner and watch TV -no computer no email no drawing no dulcimering - It was all that I could do - but now I seem to have more energy - The slug lifestyle is easy and nice but eventually I got a little bored with it- I believe I burnt out during our recent kitchen remodel and it has taken 4 months and a visit to my mother to get fully recovered .

I made a vow to my self that I would spend at least an hour a day in my studio doing something - ANYTHING every day in May - so this piece is the result of my first couple of studio hours. I was inspired by a wonderful photograph of Carolyn that was taken by her younger sister Cecille - Cecille is a very talented photographer- Thanks Cecille hope you don't mind this unauthorized use of your photo. And the cover of the most recent issue of Drawing magazine - I love the scribble style -

4 comments:

Unknown said...

very cool. I like the scribble style too!

Arena said...

I love it! I hope Carolyn does too, good to see you are back creating.

Liz said...

Kathleen that is a fantastic work. I hope you will be exhibiting and soon. You are so so talented. Love it love it love it. I'm doing a tiger at the moment. Hopefully I'll post it up in the next couple of days. Great to see and you and it's great you also led the life of a lady of leisure. Good on you.

Take care
Liz

Jan said...

I'm so excited to see what comes from your hour-a-day-in-May. I especially like this drawing and blog because it showcases three people I love (Carolyn, Cecille and you) and one lifestyle I personally am fond of. I do think the slug is rather negative and prefer Mad Bush Farm's lady of leisure.