Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Pastel version


I thought the water color was flat and boring so I tried the same reference in pastel-- I like it much better -- of course-- it took quite a bit longer to do about two or three hours compared to maybe an hour on the water color version--- this piece is 11" x 15" (on Brenda Mattson paper which I don't like )- I actually enjoyed doing this so maybe I will allow myself to do some more pastel and pencil pieces and work on watercolors and sketching a little less - AHHHHH it feels good to do something fun again

6 comments:

Ann said...

This is gorgeous! But I liked the watercolor of this subject too - I didn't think it was flat at all :)

Ann said...

Sorry to post twice but I have an award for you on my blog if you'd like to play. Don't feel you have to though :)

Kaine said...

I love the pastel version of this. It seems a little softer on the eyes although it still gives the feel of a windy plains. The watercolor version (which is still wonderful) is rough on my eyes when I look at the sky and clouds. I can't quite pinpoint just what it is. Wonderful work all together! I love visiting your blog :) Keep up the great work!

Liz said...

Hi Kathleen,

Sorry I haven't been over sooner. My Mum hasn't been very well lately so a lot of my time has been taken up helping her. I love both works you've don. I know what you mean by the light switching but nothing seems to want to get going. I haven't had a chance to do much at all. Hope everything is okay with you.

Take care
Liz

PS Pastel has a vibrance all of its own

kazumiwannabe said...

It's beautiful - feels like we can feel the wind in it! Personally I like the watercolor one too, it's very different, but it has a wonderful light and its own beauty.

Unknown said...

I so wish I lived closer to you so you could teach me how you do such wonderful work in pastels (and every other materials for that matter)! I can see you've been as busy as me lately. I, personally, needed some down time and did alot of reading and writting. I hope this note finds you well!